Wednesday, March 7, 2007

New Fire Dept, Move Police Dept.

It sounds like a new building is coming soon for our Fire Dept. I have been told that one is needed to handle all of the equipment as they have out grown this building. Now no price tag has been told to us yet however and there are other things happening with this move.

The Evansville Police Dept. is said to be going to move into the current Fire Dept. when they build a new one. The Police Dept. has been appraised for $178,000.00 and the current fire Dept was $251,000.00. I think it would be great to have the police department back down town. I know they need the room also. They are in a "house" that was actually the Wisconsin Gas Company payment center years ago. Before that it was the site of a A&W Root beer restaurant. This is going way back you know, and it was one of those that you drove up and under a overhang that was all around the sides and front of the building and the waitress came out to your car.

I have heard and reported before that it is said that the Evansville EMS is going to be moved into the old Dean aware center. This building is located right across the street from the Fire Dept. and where city hall has made a temporary move while construction is being done at the old city hall.

What do you think about all of this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to know why exactly the fire department bought then burnt down the house that was at 22 W. Church. I thought the plan 4 years ago was to build a new fire department on the current site including the house that was at 22 W. Church. What has happened in the last 4 years that we now have a new plan? I know that the fire district has grown as far as the number of homes in the district but shouldn’t the fire district think about that before they go spending the tax payer’s hard earned money?
The fire district bought the house for around $87,000 (I could be wrong on the exact #) and now the vacant lot just sits. So instead of having a historic house and another house on the property tax rolls we have some gravel and weeds.

Brilliant!

Thebadgerstate said...

Your right. I remember it just the way you do. I don't know what happened to the plan. Maybe one of firefighters will respond to this question. Thanks for giving me a knock in the head to get me to remember that.