Saturday, February 24, 2007

I wish I had a job of a weather man

As my old buddy use to say "Holy Cow" . I heard on Friday from our local Madison weather guys everything from 3-5 inches to 20 inches for the entire weekend. Charlie Sartino said maybe an inch or so on Friday evening. Well let me tell ya we got about 7 inches in Evansville last night.

I have been saying for years that they should put a window in the weather office at all of the TV stations so they could see what is going on. Maybe, they might want to give one of us in Evansville a call or better yet set up a weather station in Evansville. Maybe they would get better information for those of us "down south".

The roads were not too bad this morning. That is, the main ones. The side roads had not even been touched much in the early hours of the morning. Tonight is yet another story.

They are calling for a lot of snow tonight. The wind is going to be blowing and that will make it real bad for anyone that HAS to be out. You know there are the people that work evenings and the old night shift. Be careful.

Hey, take a look at the web site I posted as a link today. It is about the best one I have seen yet. I set it up just for us in Evansville. You can switch radar sites easy on this site. One of my buddies put me onto it. I like the labels it puts on the storm cells and shows you what way it is moving to. Have fun with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am a weatherman and it is a great job. You sound like my wife who reminds me almost daily how bad we are! Actually, as I'm always very quick to add, I don't do forecasting, never have except in school. If I did, I would've been murdered years ago! I won't make any excuses other than to say, "If you've never tried it ...". And that meteorology is a very new science - the theoretical basis for the dynamics of the atmosphere only derived in the '40s and the mathematical basis for data assimilation into forecast models in the '70s. No one knows better than we how awful the forecasts can be and this past weekend was a real gem. The problem is that we are just too visible, and everybody just loves to talk about the weather (usually much to our detriment). What I can't stand is how forcasters in the media always feel compelled to cover their butts with the most lame excuses, or gradually update the original forecast until it matches the outcome (very scientific), or just go on like everything was perfect. Why can't they just be honest and explain what happened? I suppose that wouldn't be very good TV though, out there in happy talk land.